Sunday, March 16, 2014

1-Hour Blouse DIY Tutorial

Can't figure out what to wear?  Make yourself a new blouse in an hour :)

1-Hour Blouse DIY Tutorial

Due to the number of pictures, please see tutorial after the jump.


Difficulty: Easy

Time: ~1 hour

Pattern:  Make your own from an existing blouse

Materials:
  • Existing blouse to pattern your top
  • ~3/4 yard fabric - silky types drape well for this silhouette
Steps:
1. You can really choose any kind of blouse, but the easiest versions are either sleeveless or a kimono-esque sleeve like the one below where the sleeve simply extends from the shoulder rather than getting attached to the shoulder as a secondary step.


2.  Fold your shirt in half and align that fold with the fold in your fabric.  Use your shirt as a template to cut out the front piece and back piece (more details below).

3.)  The back piece can be cut exactly as laid out above and shown directly below.

4.)  For the front piece, simply push the back collar inwards so you can get clear access to cut the neckline of the front.

5.)  Now that you have the front and back cut out.  Place the right sides together and pin at the shoulders.  Sew each shoulder and each side.  Try on and make any adjustments as necessary.

6.)  Fold in your raw edges at the sleeves, collar, & hem and sew down.

What the sewn edges should look like

7.)  Iron your new shirt.  I like to use the "wool" setting as it's gentle, yet effective.

That's it!  

Questions?  Please feel free to ask in the comments below or send me an email :)

7 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial! I cant wait til I get close to your level. I'm still learning to sew sleeves. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleeves are tough and it took me a while to fumble through. If you do a kimono-esque sleeve, then you get the look of a sleeve without having to go through the attachment process. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Cute fabric pattern! I love your intro line: "Can't figure out what to wear? Make yourself a new blouse in an hour" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Haha, sometimes I think I am funny (I know I'm not) :D

      Delete
  3. was lining up the horse pattern at the collar and back intended? great job! And it'd definitely take me many hours to do this simple task :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy accident :) Thanks Lisa! You should give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I've made shirts this way. Actually I've remade T-shirts into ones more fitting. Tees usually look like sacks on me. I keep the top and bottom as is but cut the sleeves off and using an existing shirt as a template, I reshape the Tee and sleeves (keeping the original sleeve hem). Stitch the sleeves to the new arm holes and then stitch the side seams from the sleeve hem to the Tee hem. Voila! A shirt that fits well and looks so much better than the baggy T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...