Sunday, June 14, 2015

Striped Racerback Maxi Dress DIY

We're seeing warmer weather in the Bay Area and it's time to start sewing some maxi dresses again.  Comfortable and cool, this is my uniform for the summer and I especially love knit versions for both ease in sewing and in wearing.

Material:  Stretchy knit from Michael Levine, 2 yards

Difficulty: Easy, all serger construction (you can also use a twin needle on a regular machine)

Time: ~3 hours

Pattern: Patterned bodice based off of this previous Racerback Maxi Dress DIY minus the gathering at the bust, self-drafted skirt (just a rectangle)

Striped Racerback Maxi Dress DIY

And in case you ever wondered who was catching my attention...
:)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Have you actually sewn one on a regular machine? I'm always so intimidated by stretch fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sewn various knits using a twin needle on a regular machine and it works quite well! The twin needle will give you 2 straight lines of stitching on the front and the back of the fabric will have zig-zagged stitching. The zig zag will allow your stitching to stretch along with the fabric.

      I tend to default to serging because it will trim / bind my edges and allow stretch at the same time. Most regular knits won't require edge binding since it won't fray, but some thinner t-shirt type knits will roll up and the binding will help it lay flat for easier sewing. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. I'm a little intimidated by stripes, yours are nice and even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kellye! It's sometimes luck and sometimes the result of multiple cycles of seam ripping / sewing - this one was luck :)

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...